Monday, June 22, 2009

HOUSTON!!

Home
Original
Urban
Spacious
Trafficy
Oh so hot
Noisy

I’ve never really considered myself to be a city girl. It’s not that I’m a country girl either; I just don’t really fit either stereotype. Recently, however, I’ve begun to appreciate living in Houston. It’s home to me. Its diversity is quite accommodating to my varied and sometimes eclectic pursuits. I fell in love with College Station when I lived there. I can’t say that I’ve fallen in love with Houston, but I can say that I enjoy living here.

I like the way the freeways look in places where there are several layers stacked on top of each other.

I like running in Memorial Park. It’s my favorite place to run with other people. One of my friends once referred to it as a “therapy wheel”. I’ve laughed there, I’ve cried there, I’ve had conversations about almost every topic under the sun there. I love that there’s such a great park inside the 610 loop!

I like living in a city that has professional sports teams. It’s hard to root for the home team if you don’t have a home team!

I like being around people. In Houston, there’s always someone nearby!

I like that there are lots of green spaces. Even though Houston is heavily populated, it’s not lacking in nature. Even though there are lots of people, it’s not hard to find places where you can forget about how many people are around.

I only have two big complaints about living in Houston. First of all, I hate traffic. It’s my number one pet peeve. Sitting in traffic puts me in a bad mood moreso than almost anything else in the world. I’ll go to pretty extreme measures to avoid traffic. In Houston, though, traffic is inevitably unavoidable. Secondly, Houston has NO good coffee shops. PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, but thus far I haven’t found anywhere other than Starbucks. There are 4 Starbucks basically within walking distance of my apartment, but Starbucks is a little too commercialized for my liking.

PS – There are no good O words to describe Houston.

2 comments: